Thursday, September 22, 2016 - by Chris Mabee, President of Home Builders Association Of Greater Chattanooga
As home buyers in the Chattanooga area continue to enjoy low mortgage interest rates and steady growth in employment, an increasing number of families are moving into their dream homes. But even after loans are approved and sales contracts are finalized, the final step could potentially be the most stressful: packing up and moving in.
Whether your next move is cross-country or across the street, keep in mind the following tips:
1. Prevent Pet Anxiety — Your pets might not welcome movers seemingly walking off with your belongings, so you’ll benefit from having a friend or family member take them for the day.
2. Consider the Kids — Depending on their ages, your kids may need a similar level of attention to that of your pets. Moving is a strain on them too, so making arrangements for a caretaker to look after your little ones while you tend to the move could alleviate a significant amount of potential stress.
3. Stockpile the Essentials — The last thing you want to worry about on Day 1 in your new home is where you put your toothbrush. Early in the packing phase, establish and clearly label an “essentials” box where you will be able to quickly find important items such as medications, IDs and credit cards, bath products, phone chargers, a change of clothes, etc.
4. Prevent Cable and Internet Service Disruption—Make the necessary arrangements with your provider(s) as early as you can to avoid the inconvenience of a gap in your TV or internet service.
5. Thoroughly Vet Moving Companies — Not all moving companies are the same. But even though price often aligns with quality, that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to pay top dollar for moving services. Ask around for references, and always check the companies’ websites as well as consumer review websites to look for red flags.
No one wants the process of moving into their dream home to become a nightmare. With proper planning and the right level of support, your move can be smooth sailing from start to finish.
If you’re still searching for the perfect home in the tri-state area, let us help. For more information, visit the Home Builders Association of Greater Chattanooga at www.HBAGC.net.