Life Care Centers of America gave its highest nursing honor to Helen Matvichuk, director of nursing at Life Care Center of Aurora, Co., on Monday, April 9.
The Mary Denton Award – named for the Life Care resident depicted in the company’s logo – is presented annually to one director of nursing who best symbolizes the philosophy, mission and values of Life Care.
Ms. Matvichuk has worked for Life Care since 2002, starting at Life Care Center of Westminster, Colorado, and transferring to Life Care Center of Aurora in 2012. She was especially praised for visiting a former patient who had been discharged home on hospice care and helping her husband around the house so he could spend more time with his wife.
“Her calm approach and never-ending desire to take care of people is truly remarkable,” said Dani Andrade, executive director at Life Care Center of Aurora.
The company also bestowed the Company-wide Director of Nursing of the Year Award on Austin Heard from Life Care Center of Hixson.
He was praised for his commitment to educating staff. In February 2017, he coordinated a training course for tracheotomy care, and he has required nursing staff to complete cardiology courses through Life Care’s online learning site.
“He is always looking out for the best interests of our patients,” said Matthew Cummings, executive director. “I have witnessed him work the floor on a med cart, take the treatment cart and provide wound care, work shifts as a CNA and order and put away stock.”
“Helen and Austin represent the pinnacle of their profession,” said Beecher Hunter, Life Care president. “The highest ideals of nursing leadership are demonstrated by their daily actions. Our company is blessed to have them, and the real beneficiaries of their talents and their love are our residents.”
These two awards were highlights of an evening honoring performance excellence at Life Care Centers of America’s corporate headquarters in Cleveland.
Other Director of Nursing of the Year awards were given to eight other individuals:
• Laura Noland – Life Care Center of Seneca, Ks., for the Central Division
• Stacey Demps – Life Care Center of Sparta, Tn., for the Eastern Division
• Ruben Salinas – The Vosswood Nursing Center in Houston, Tx., for the Gulf States Region
• Jana Underwood – Valley View Villa in Fort Morgan, Co., for the Mountain States Division
• Sarah Lazard – Life Care Center of Elyria, Oh., for the Northeast Division
• Sara Walden – Life Care Center of Port Orchard, Wa., for the Northwest Division
• Loren Reddish – Life Care Center of Hilliard, Fl., for the Southeast Division
• Armida Dixon – Heritage Health Care Center in Globe, Az., for the Southwest Division