The Chattanooga Fire Department was dispatched at 10:02 a.m. on Thursday to a reported fire in the auditorium at Berean Academy at 331 Berean Lane in Hixson.
Battalion Chief Don Bowman said the heating system caught fire inside the building, which activated the fire alarm system. Chief Bowman said the school staff did an excellent job of evacuating the school quickly and efficiently.
No injuries were reported.
Chief Bowman said there was thick, black smoke inside the auditorium when the firefighters arrived. They found the fire in the heating system and very quickly extinguished the flames. There was no fire damage to the school building. Before leaving, the firefighters used their high-powered fans to ventilate the building to remove as much smoke as possible. The cause of the fire will be ruled accidental.