As a result of people hunkering down at home and abiding by the social distancing policy due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Comcast is seeing a big surge in people on their devices.
Sara Jo Walker, of Comcast, said, "We’re seeing some interesting trends developing around our internet, video and phone services."
Data Usage Trends
- On average, we’re seeing a 32% increase in peak traffic with peak download times shifting 90 minutes earlier from 9:00PM to 7:30PM.
Upload peaks have shifted to daytime hours, reflective of a large population that is now working from home.
- Application usage growth has increased significantly. VoIP and Video Conferencing is up 212%. VPN traffic is up 40%.
- Gaming downloads are up 50% generally and 80% during new releases.
- There is a 38% increase in streaming and web video consumption.
Video Usage Trends
- People are watching more television. Video consumption increased by four hours to 64 hours per week.
- Video OnDemand is hitting record highs, up 25% YOY.
- There has been a nearly 50% increase in Xfinity Voice Remote requests for “Free Movies.”
- We have seen Xfinity Voice Remote queries top 50 million some days.
Phone Usage Trends
- On Xfinity Mobile, we see a 10% decline in LTE wireless data usage and a 24% increase in mobile data usage over WiFi.
- The traditional home telephone is proving useful. Our digital voice home phone minutes of use is up 65%.
- We are micro-monitoring our infrastructure, including running 700k+ speed tests most days.
- We engineer the network to handle spikes and shifts in usage, and what we have seen so far during this pandemic is within our capacity.
- We’ve consistently invested in our network so that our capacity has always been 12-18 months ahead of what we need. This has well-positioned us for this unforeseen event.