tnAchieves has announced its inaugural class of tnAchieves Mentor Hall of Fame inductees to celebrate and honor mentors who consistently go above and beyond to support tnAchieves efforts in their communities. tnAchieves is recognizing 32 outstanding volunteers across Tennessee in its inaugural class.
tnAchieves Mentor Hall of Fame inductees include educators, business professionals and community leaders from across the state. All tnAchieves mentors make an invaluable contribution to the program and local students, whether they have served for one year or 15.
The individuals being inducted into the tnAchieves Mentor Hall of Fame have consistently answered the call to ensure students are successful and their communities are aligned in support of tnAchieves efforts.
"Our inaugural class supports the bold idea that all students, regardless of background or zip code, deserve the opportunity to earn a high-quality credential after high school," officials said.
“tnAchieves would not be where it is today without the support of these 32 difference-makers who believe in the power of education,” said tnAchieves President and CEO Krissy DeAlejandro. “Our inaugural tnAchieves Mentor Hall of Fame class could not be more deserving. Since our inception 15 years ago, these individuals have remained dedicated to students and the economic vitality of our state. On behalf of countless students, I am forever grateful for their continued support.”
Rebecca Ashford, a tnAchieves mentor from Hamilton County had this to say about mentoring, “Continuing to serve as a mentor for tnAchieves is important to me because I remember what is was like to be a first-generation college student and to be intimidated by the idea of enrolling in college. If I can help just one student feel more confident throughout the enrollment process, then being a mentor is worth it.”
tnAchieves has introduced the following mentors into the Hall of Fame:
• Debbie Adams - Sequatchie County - 9 Years Mentored
• Rebecca Ashford - Hamilton County - 14 Years Mentored
• Janice Bettis - Sevier County - 12 Years Mentored
• Veenita Bisaria - Loudon County - 12 Years Mentored
• Randy Boyd - Knox County - 15 Years Mentored
• Ricky Boyd - Obion County - 9 Years Mentored
• Karen Bowyer - Shelby County - 11 Years Mentored
• John Cagle - Jefferson County - 12 Years Mentored
• Dan Caldwell - Rutherford County - 8 Years Mentored
• Owen Driskill - Knox County - 15 Years Mentored
• Beth Duffield - Rutherford County - 9 Years Mentored
• Lindsay Frilling - Obion County - 9 Years Mentored
• Janice Goldthreate - Shelby County - 8 Years Mentored
• Matthew Hunter - Hawkins County - 11 Years Mentored
• Shanna Jackson - Davidson County - 9 Years Mentored
• Tish Jones - Hamblen County - 11 Years Mentored
• Youlanda Jones - Lauderdale County - 5 Years Mentored
• Michael Laman - Anderson County - 15 Years Mentored
• Kelly Lancaster - Rutherford County - 8 Years Mentored
• Mark Luttrell - Shelby County - 8 Years Mentored
• Allen Lutz - Roane County - 12 Years Mentored
• Greg Martz - Humphreys County - 11 Years Mentored
• Christy Newman - Blount County - 12 Years Mentored
• Don Polley - Gibson County - 9 Years Mentored
• Mike Ragsdale - Jefferson County - 14 Years Mentored
• Richard Ray - Knox County - 10 Years Mentored
• Mischelle Simcox - Sullivan County - 8 Years Mentored
• Michael Torrence - Putnam County - 10 Years Mentored
• Kasey Vatter - Sumner County - 13 Years Mentored
• Cliff Wightman - Cumberland County - 9 Years Mentored
• Tim Williams - Knox County - 15 Years Mentored
• Anthony Wise - Knox County - 13 Years Mentored
tnAchieves will induct mentors into the tnAchieves Mentor Hall of Fame on an annual basis. Those wishing to join tnAchieves as a mentor can visit https://www.tnAchieves.org/mentors. More than 3,500 volunteer mentors are needed with less than one month until the Oct. 21 deadline. Mentors commit just one hour per month to ensure that students have access to local support, encouragement and guidance as they navigate the college-going process. All mentors are provided training, handbook and ongoing support.
tnAchieves is a privately funded scholarship and mentoring program that seeks to provide an opportunity for every Tennessee student to earn a post-secondary degree. If you have questions about the tnAchieves mentoring program, contact Tyler Ford at 309-945-3446 or tyler@tnAchieves.org.