Saturday, December 10, 2005 - by by special report to The Chattanoogan
Former Tennessee all-star linebacker Dale Jones will be in Chattanooga on Friday night serving as the linebacker coach for Appalachian State's Mountaineers.
Jones' ASU team defeated Furman, 29-23, Saturday to earn a spot in the I-AA national championship game at Finley Stadium against Northern Iowa.
Jones played high school at Bradley Central in Cleveland, Tenn.
Information on Jones:
Name: DALE JONES, LINEBACKERS
Alma Mater: Tennessee, 1988
Years at ASU: 10th
1989: Tennessee (Defensive Assistant)
1990 : Parma Panthers (Defensive Coordinator)
1991: Florida (Defensive Assistant)
1992-95: Georgia Military (Linebackers and Def. Backs)
1991-95: Georgia Military (Defensive Coordinator)
1996-2004: Appalachian State (Def. Line/Special Teams)
2005: Appalachian State (Linebackers)
• Named 2002 Special Teams Coordinator of the Year by American Football Monthly.
• Mentored two-straight SoCon Defensive Players of the Year
(Josh Jeffries, 2002 and K.T. Stovall, 2003)
• Led the top punt and punt return units in the SoCon in 2003.
• Coached two-time consensus All-American Josh Jeffries to the program’s career and single-season quarterback sack records.
• Mentored 2004 SoCon sacks leader, Marques Murrell.
• In 2001, coached one of the best defensive lines in the nation,
with two Mountaineers receiving All-America plaudits.
• Mentored the Mountaineers’ last two sack record holders.
• Instructed six defensive linemen to All-America honors and 15 to all-Southern Conference recognition over the same stretch at Appalachian.
• Coached eight defensive linemen who have moved on to the NFL.
• Named to Tennessee’s All-Time Football Team for the program’s 100 years of intercollegiate football in 1990.
• Earned All-SEC honors in 1985 and ‘86.
• Honored as a Playboy All-American as a senior.
• Tabbed the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Lineman of the Year by the Atlanta Touchdown Club in 1986.
• Four-year starter at outside linebacker for the Volunteers.
Hometown: Cleveland, Tenn.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree, Tennessee, 1988
Marital Status: Married to the former Donna Hall
Children: Daughter Brooke McKenzie Jones.
Notes: Donna also received her baccalaureate degree from the University of Tennessee. One of 13 children, Dale has six brothers and six sisters.
(E-mail Stan Crawley at firstname.lastname@example.org)