MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Lee University tennis teams were eliminated from the Gulf South Conference Championships in the quarterfinal round Thursday afternoon. The Flames were defeated 5-1 by Valdosta State University at Lagoon Park Tennis Center, while the Lady Flames fell 5-0 to Mississippi College at O’Connor Tennis Center in the.
The Flames (10-9) earned a point at No. 1 doubles. Rhys Milne and Jake Okines outlasted the 20th-ranked doubles team of Jordi Mas and Florian Simbozel to record the 8-6 win.
The Blazers, ranked No. 20, won 8-3 at the second spot and 8-2 at No. 3 doubles to carry a 2-1 advantage into singles competition. VSU posted wins in the first three singles matches to be completed to secure the fifth team point and the match.
In the women’s match, No. 26 Mississippi College jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on the Lady Flames (8-9) with scores of 8-0 and 8-1 at No. 3 doubles and No. 1 doubles, respectively. Joanna Grzegrzolka and Carley Sickinger battled Aneta Golawska and Tori Roberts in the second position, but the Lady Choctaws prevailed with a 7-5 tie-breaker to complete the doubles sweep.
Straight-set wins by Mississippi College at No. 6 singles and No. 3 singles clinched the team victory. The final four singles competitions were left unfinished.
#11 VALDOSTA STATE 5, FLAMES 1
1. #11 Jordi Mas (VSUMT) vs. #52 Rhys Milne (LEE-M) unfinished
2. #26 Florian Simbozel (VSUMT) def. Jake Okines (LEE-M) 6-1, 6-1
3. Fernando Rivas (VSUMT) vs. Igor Schattan (LEE-M) unfinished
4. Xavier Pineda (VSUMT) def. Bruno Medeiros (LEE-M) 6-4, 6-3
5. Davis Stewart (VSUMT) def. Daniel Prata (LEE-M) 6-3, 6-1
6. Axel Holm (VSUMT) vs. Jordan Knott (LEE-M) unfinished
1. Rhys Milne/Jake Okines (LEE-M) def. #20 Jordi Mas/Florian Simbozel (VSUMT) 8-6
2. Fernando Rivas/Francisco Yim Kim (VSUMT) def. Daniel Prata/Igor Schattan (LEE-M) 8-3
3. Axel Holm/Davis Stewart (VSUMT) def. Bruno Medeiros/Jordan Knott (LEE-M) 8-2
#26 MISSISSIPPI COLLEGE 5, LADY FLAMES 0
1. Brenna Keller (MC-W) vs. Francesca Tondi (LEE-W) 6-1, 0-1, unfinished
2. Nicole Bueno (MC-W) vs. Joanna Grzegrzolka (LEE-W) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
3. S. Gonzalez-Carrera (MC-W) def. Marta Garcia-Nieto (LEE-W) 6-0, 6-1
4. AnneMarie Kimball (MC-W) vs. Carley Sickinger (LEE-W) 6-7, 0-1, unfinished
5. Aneta Golawska (MC-W) vs. Laura Beth Hardesty (LEE-W) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
6. RebeccaGrace Kimball (MC-W) def. Nicole Shennett (LEE-W) 6-1, 6-0
1. Brenna Keller/AnneMarie Kimball (MC-W) def. Francesca Tondi/Marta Garcia-Nieto (LEE-W) 8-1
2. Aneta Golawska/Tori Roberts (MC-W) def. Joanna Grzegrzolka/Carley Sickinger (LEE-W) 9-8 (7-5)
3. S. Gonzalez-Carrera/RebeccaGrace Kimball (MC-W) def. Laura Beth Hardesty/Nicole Shennett (LEE-W) 8-0