The Tennessee Charter School Center honored six Charter Champions during a week-long virtual celebration from Nov. 16-20. Receiving Teacher of the Year Award was Bryan Mann of Chattanooga Preparatory Academy.
"Each year, TCSC recognizes the notable work of public charter school leaders, teachers and advocates from across the state," officials said. "TCSC transitioned this year’s program to its online platforms using interactive video posts that detailed the significant contributions of each of the awards finalists and celebrated the 2020 recipients."
The following individuals and schools were recognized as winners of the 2020 Charter Champion Awards:
• School of the Year — Aurora Collegiate Academy, Memphis
• Policy Champion of the Year — Mayor John Cooper, Nashville
• Administrator of the Year — Sheri Catron Cooper, Circles of Success Learning Academy, Memphis
• Teacher of the Year — Bryan Mann, Chattanooga Preparatory Academy, Chattanooga
• Advocate of the Year — Brooke Allen, Diverse Learners Cooperative
• Community Project of the Year — Memphis STEM Academy, Memphis
“This has been a challenging year and our school leaders, educators and advocates have continued to meet the needs of students and families in extraordinary ways,” said Dr. Maya Bugg, CEO of the Tennessee Charter School Center. “We wanted to take this time to celebrate the innovation and perseverance of each of these individuals while giving our students, school families and supporters an opportunity to share their appreciation as well.”