The Chattanooga Mocs women’s tennis team snapped a four-match skid with a crucial 4-3 Southern Conference victory on the road at Wofford in Spartanburg, S.C., on Sunday afternoon.
Following the win, Chattanooga improves to 12-5 overall and 1-2 inside SoCon play after the win. Wofford drops to 10-7 on the season and a similar 1-2 tally in league action.
“Just another SoCon battle. Wofford and its players are well coached and have a ton of heart,” said head coach Chad Camper following the match.
“It took all we had to get the four points we needed.
This team came together and cheered like never before.”
Chattanooga earned a 1-0 lead after doubles action saw victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 pairings. Lucia Garrigues-Melendez and Rozalie Dohnalova evened doubles play at 1-1 after a 6-0 victory in the No. 2 hole before the duo of Jessie Young and Caroline Gibbens posted a thrilling 7-5 win at No. 1 to clinch the team point.
Wofford tied the match at 1-1 with a win in the No. 3 slot before Young cruised her way to a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 1 to put UTC back in front 2-1. Nicole Abel upped the visitor’s lead to 3-1 following a convincing 6-1, 6-0 decision at No. 4.
The Terriers continued to fight and picked up victories at No. 2 and No. 6 to set up a 3-3 tie with just one match remaining at the No. 5 slot. It was Dohnalova who provided the match-clinching moment, earning a 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 comeback victory to lift Chattanooga to its first conference win of the season.
Chattanooga returns to action on Sunday, April 2, when it hosts league foe UNCG for a 10 a.m. ET match at the UTC Tennis Center on campus. Live stats will be available with links located on the schedule page.
Chattanooga 4, Wofford 3
3/26/2023 at Spartanburg, SC (Reeves Tennis Center)
1. Jessie Young (UTC) def. Lily Woods (WOFW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Breda Brennan (WOFW) def. Coco Bosman (UTC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Brianna Wilbur (WOFW) def. Caroline Gibbens (UTC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Nicole Abel (UTC) def. Georgia Fischer (WOFW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Rozalie Dohnalova (UTC) def. Emely Kahrs (WOFW) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
6. Catherine Blouin (WOFW) def. Lucia Melendez (UTC) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
1. Jessie Young/Caroline Gibbens (UTC) def. Georgia Fischer/Lily Woods (WOFW) 7-5
2. Lucia Melendez/Rozalie Dohnalova (UTC) def. Breda Brennan/Emma Sorensen (WOFW) 6-0
3. Emely Kahrs/Brianna Wilbur (WOFW) def. Nicole Abel/Callie Billman (UTC) 6-4