Walker County Fire And Rescue And GNTC Promote Fire Readiness Through Town/Gown Project

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Several students have added fire safety to their class schedule this fall. Walker County Fire Rescue and Georgia Northwestern Technical College are partnering with First Alert, Campus Firewatch and the Michael H. Minger Foundation to participate in the third annual Town/Gown Fire Safety Community Service Project. Students and residents will be able to learn the importance of fire safety and work alongside firefighters to properly equip homes with combination smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms. 
 
As part of the Town/Gown Fire Safety Community Service Project, Walker County Fire Rescue was chosen, along with 24 other departments nationwide, to host community events.

Georgia Northwestern Technical College students will work alongside firefighters to conduct home safety visits in at-risk communities and install 100 combination smoke and CO alarms donated by First Alert.
 
“The Town/Gown Project is a great opportunity to further educate our community and students about the importance of fire and CO safety, and equip many homes with needed alarms,” said Chief Blake Hodge of Walker County Fire Rescue. “Reducing the risk of fatal fires – by providing adequate protection – helps make our community stronger and safer.”
 
According to the National Fire Protection Association, three out of four fires occur in the home, the very place that most people feel the safest. 
 
“The NFPA reports when a home does have working smoke alarms, it cuts the fatality risk of home fires in half,” said Tarsila Wey, director of marketing for First Alert. “Smoke alarms are one of the best and easiest solutions to enhance home safety. And by partnering with Campus Firewatch and the Michael H. Minger Foundation for the Town/Gown project, we are able to both educate communities about fire safety and install alarms for a long-lasting impact.”
 
“Collaboration between students, fire departments and universities works to create a stronger, safer community,” said Ed Comeau, founder of Campus Firewatch. “Enabling students to learn fire safety by doing fire safety provides an important life skill for them and those around them.”
 
“Gaining real-world knowledge with regard to smoke and CO alarm placement and maintenance is an invaluable opportunity for these students,” said Gail Minger, president of the Michael H. Minger Foundation. “The Town/Gown project truly offers a unique volunteer opportunity to both support the community and work with fire safety professionals in a capacity many would not otherwise experience.”

In order to protect what matters most in the event of a fire or CO emergency, Walker County Fire Rescue recommends careful preparation and planning, and the following "Do's and Dont's":

Do: Check where your alarms are placed. The U.S. Fire Administration and NFPA advise that homes have smoke alarms installed inside every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. For CO alarms, homes should have at least one alarm on each level and one in or near every sleeping area. 

Don’t: Install it, then forget it. Smoke alarms don’t last forever and should be replaced every 10 years. And don’t assume your alarm is working properly; test it monthly and change the batteries at least once a year or if a low battery chirp occurs. Alarms with a 10-year sealed battery provide hassle-free protection, eliminating the risk of forgetting to change the batteries or having an alarm deactivated due to battery removal. 

Do: Make and practice an escape plan. It is essential to plan an emergency escape route and practice it at least twice a year. This ensures that everyone knows how to evacuate the home safely and where to meet, in the event of an emergency.


December 1864: Occupation Holiday Open House At The Cravens House

Riverpark Boat Ramp To Be Closed On Saturday Through Dec. 3

Junior Leage Announces Its 2019-20 Executive Board


Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park will present a Christmas Open House at the Cravens House, located on Lookout Mountain on Friday, Dec. 6 and Saturday, Dec. 7. The house will ... (click for more)

The Riverpark Boat ramp will be closed from Saturday through Dec. 3. This closure is to accommodate the removal of a crane that has been doing dredge work near the water company. (click for more)

The oldest volunteer women’s organization in Chattanooga, the Junior League of Chattanooga (JLC), announces its 2019-20 Executive Board. JLC was founded in 1917 to empower women through leadership ... (click for more)


Happenings

December 1864: Occupation Holiday Open House At The Cravens House

Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park will present a Christmas Open House at the Cravens House, located on Lookout Mountain on Friday, Dec. 6 and Saturday, Dec. 7. The house will be decorated in a manner very similar to the Civil War era. This holiday event will take place from 6-8 p.m., with tours beginning every 30 minutes. Reservations are required. To make a reservation, ... (click for more)

Riverpark Boat Ramp To Be Closed On Saturday Through Dec. 3

The Riverpark Boat ramp will be closed from Saturday through Dec. 3. This closure is to accommodate the removal of a crane that has been doing dredge work near the water company. (click for more)

Breaking News

James Robertson, 62, Dies In East Ridge House Fire; Lisa Crowe, 62, In Critical Condition

James Robertson, 62, died in a house fire in East Ridge on Thursday night and Lisa Crowe, 62, was in critical condition. East Ridge Fire Chief Mike Williams said at approximately 10:39 p.m., East Ridge Fire, East Ridge Police and Lifeguard EMS, were dispatched to a reported residential fire at 1302 Adonna Lane. Upon arrival heavy smoke and fire was coming from a single-story ... (click for more)

Man, 21, Shot Near UTC

A man, 21, was shot Thursday night near UTC. At approximately 11:02 p.m., Chattanooga Police responded to the 900 block of Douglas Street on a report of shots fired. Upon arrival, officers were able to locate a possible crime scene in the hallway of an apartment building. A short while later, police were notified that a man had arrived at a local hospital suffering from ... (click for more)

Opinion

Tubman TIF - Not Yet Ready For Prime Time

A wise man once wrote that reading about tax increment financing is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Yes, it is boring, but it is important that the city use this tool wisely to create economic development opportunities and to build community trust. On Thursday, Nov. 14, at 11 a.m., the Industrial Development Board (IDB) will hold a public hearing regarding a proposed ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: The Whistleblower

For a guy that endured the evolution of personal computers, I’ve never forgotten one of the earliest truths: “GIGO -- Garbage In, Garbage out.” As a newspaper reporter who started with Royal portable typewriters, then went to “telecopiers,” and then “Telerams,” and then Radio Shack’s first really portable computer and on down the line, I still marvel at mankind’s genius. When I ... (click for more)