The Judge David Campbell Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a sign and held a dedication ceremony at the site of the McDaniel-Moore Cemetery in Marion County.
The cemetery is hidden behind a bank of trees on Highway 156 and is commonly referred to as the McDaniel Cemetery.
The earliest verifiable burial occurred on April 29, 1842, with the interment of Rev. Goodson McDaniel’s wife, Naomi Young McDaniel.
There are over 100 burial sites with 70 markers remaining.
Once the cemetery was co-located with a chapel, but the chapel was destroyed during the American Civil War.
The cemetery was named for the McDaniel family of Reverend G. (Goodson) McDaniel and the GW Moore family. GW was the husband of Rev. McDaniel’s daughter Nancy Eliza.
A portion of Rev. McDaniel’s education was obtained at the Brainerd Mission School. The mission school closed with the Cherokee removal in 1838. All that remains of the large tract of land which once was covered with houses, gardens and sites where native Americans waited during the forced relocation during the 1830s of Eastern Woodlands Indians of the Southeast region of the United to Indian Territory west of the Mississippi River, is the one acre cemetery on land near Eastgate Mall in Chattanooga.
Rev. Goodson McDaniel was born in Warren County, Tn., Aug. 18, 1803, and died Feb. 23, 1887, on Sand Mountain, Al., after a long and useful life.