The Chattanooga State Theatre Department presents The Giver, a play by Eric Coble, adapted from the book by Lois Lowry. Performances are Thursday through Saturday, Oct. 22-24 and 29-31, at 7:30 p.m. The show is approximately 80-90 minutes with no intermission.
To make the performance as safe as possible for everyone, officials have instituted the following guidelines:
1. The show will be presented outdoors in the Chattanooga State main campus Humanities Building parking lot.
2. Admission is free, but attendees must make a reservation to attend. You need only one reservation per vehicle. Limited to 18 cars per performance.
3. The audience will stay in their cars for the production with audio being transmitted into vehicles through a closed FM radio station.
4. Building access will not be available, but portable restrooms will be on site if needed.
5. On the day of the performance, every person in the vehicle must complete a COVID-19 screening questionnaire online. The screening questionnaire can be found at https://tigerweb.chattanoogastate.edu/covid-19-oc-form. Security will check the forms at the entry gate to the campus.
6. The actors will perform masked and socially distanced.
Make a reservation at chattanoogastate.edu/theatre or through the Facebook page “Chattanooga State Fine Arts”.
Review for The Giver:
The Giver is a story about a young man named Jonas who is assigned a special and unique job within his community, and, in his training, he learns that his community is not as perfect as it once seemed to him. His journey shows him the importance of feelings and the value of love.
The cast features accomplished local actor and UTC theatre graduate Bruce Shaw in the title role as The Giver, alongside Chattanooga State students Tris Haugh as Jonas, Daniel Alvarez as Father, Destinie Lanier as Mother, Bria Rennick as Lily, Shannon Mitchell as Fiona, Jacob Allred as Asher, and Mary Beth Mangrum as The Chief Elder. Jennifer Arbogast Wilson directs, and Maggie Williams is production stage manager.
The Giver is presented by special arrangement with Dramatic Publishing, Inc. in Woodstock, Il.
A link to a map of the campus can be found on the reservation page. Chattanooga State, 4501 Amnicola Highway, Chattanooga, TN 37406.