Seven people were shot on Saturday night on Grove Street and two women died.
The victims were:
Victim 1 (deceased):
Labrecia Dews (female, 37)
Victim 2 (deceased):
Keniqua Hughes (female, 21)
At approximately 10:44 p.m., Chattanooga Police responded to 1124 Grove Street on a report of multiple people shot.
- Upon arrival, officers located six shooting victims, two of those victims deceased.
- Police rendered aid to victims until Hamilton County EMS arrived on scene.
- Hamilton County EMS transported four of the victims to a local hospital. At this time, all victims are stable.
- An additional victim suffering from non-life-threatening gunshot wounds left the scene prior to police arrival and was taken to a hospital via personal vehicle.
- Investigators with the Violent Crimes Unit responded to conduct an investigation and collect potential evidence from the scene.
- The suspect(s) fled the area prior to police arrival. There are no suspect details to release at this time.
- Chattanooga Police ask anyone with information regarding this incident to call the Homicide Tip Line at 423-643-5100 or submit a tip via the CPD Mobile App. You can remain anonymous.
Mayor Tim Kelly said, “Chattanooga communities experienced life-changing trauma from incidents of gun violence this weekend. This is absolutely unacceptable—the gunfire, the killing must end. We all experience conflict in our lives, but resorting to violence—particularly with a firearm that, in an instant, can reap irrevocable grief and pain—is never the answer.
“I have full confidence in CPD’s ability to conduct a thorough investigation that will bring those responsible to justice, while also providing support to the friends and family who mourn. Gun violence is a public safety and public health crisis that wreaks havoc on too many of our residents’ lives—we will address it head-on and with urgency.”