Installation Of Solar Panels To GPS Upper School Provides More Than Power

  • Wednesday, February 21, 2024
The recent solar array installation on the upper school building at Girls Preparatory School means more to the school than just long-term energy savings, officials said. Having a clean source of efficient power on campus aligns with the school’s commitment to "sustainability while offering myriad learning opportunities for students."

Officials said, "Thanks to a generous individual donation and a Southface GoodUse grant, which covered 70 percent of costs, plus support from the federal Inflation Reduction Act direct pay program, which covered the remaining 30 percent, the purchase and installation of the panels and inverters presented zero expense to GPS.

"GoodUse provides technical assistance and funding in the form of matching grants to nonprofits to assist them with resource efficiency upgrades to their facilities.
These upgrades save the nonprofit valuable funds on utility bills that can be reallocated into their mission.

While GPS projects an 18 percent electricity consumption reduction to the upper school, the payoffs will far exceed energy savings."

“The installation of the solar panels presents an opportunity for our students to not only see firsthand our commitment to environmental issues that they’re passionate about,” said Head of School Megan Cover. “But teachers will be able to develop lessons for our girls on energy consumption, how solar panels work, and the benefits of alternative energy sources. Our students can monitor the system to see how much energy is being produced, and the vendor has provided a fully functional panel to allow the girls to see up close its construction and for use in the classroom.”

GPS plans to apply for future grants to offset energy costs throughout the school as part of its commitment to a greener campus along with current recycling, composting and gardening initiatives.
Student Scene
Chambliss Recognizes 2024 John C. Stophel Outstanding Students
  • 4/18/2024

Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel, P.C. congratulates the 2023-2024 John C. Stophel Outstanding Students from the UTC Gary W. Rollins College of Business for their achievements and dedication to ... more

Hamilton County 4-H Announces Results Of Countywide 4-H Demonstration Contest At UTC
  • 4/18/2024

Fourth and fifth grade students from across Hamilton County gathered at the UTC University Center on March 24 for the 2024 Hamilton County 4-H Demonstration Contest. More than 70 first-place ... more

Cleveland State Provides HVAC Bootcamp
Cleveland State Provides HVAC Bootcamp
  • 4/18/2024

Cleveland State Community College Workforce Development provided a HVAC Bootcamp this month in the Cleveland State HVAC Lab at the Partners in Industry and Education (PIE) Center in Cleveland. ... more