The staff at a local McDonald’s had anything but a routine morning as they started preparing for the breakfast crowd on Friday. The Chattanooga Fire Department was called to the McDonald’s at 4829 Brainerd Road at 4:15 a.m.
Several employees showed up for work and started getting things ready. They smelled smoke and noticed that the stove was on fire, as well as the wall behind it.
They tried to put it out, but they could not, so they evacuated the building.
Firefighters made an offensive fire attack and extinguished the kitchen fire.
Crews also went to the roof to put flames out because the fire went through the vent system and extended to the roof.
There were no injuries.
Officials on the scene believe the blaze was the result of a grease fire or a mechanical malfunction with the equipment.
For now, the business will be closed due to the damage.
Responding units were Squad 13, Quint 13, Engine 5, Engine 15, Engine 21, Quint 8, Squad 1, Battalion 1 and Battalion 2.